Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Christian's Here!!!

06.07.08
9:23 a.m.
5 lbs. 10 oz.
Kaiser Hospital (San Diego)

On Friday evening, my sister calls to let me know that she's going into labor. I immediately feel a huge rush of excitement! So, I pack some entertainment for Sophia + I'm on my way (90 mph) to the hospital :)

Photobucket

By the time I arrive around 7:30 p.m., she's only 1 cm dilated + you need 10 cm to give birth. So I sat back in the rocking chair, pop in Jason + Christy's favorite movie, "Knocked Up," which also happens to be the first movie they watched on their first date...LOL!

Photobucket

Sophia manages to keep herself busy. Don't be mistaken, she actually likes to read.

Photobucket

Throughout the night, Jason continues to give her so much support + lovin'

Photobucket

Before we arrived, they had a real scare. The baby's heart rate was going down + they were going to have a c-section but Christian fought hard to come out v-style. Here's an image of Jason in his scrubs, which the fathers/partners wear during the c-section. Jason liked playing doctor :)

Photobucket

Christy had an oxygen mask, which gave Christian more oxygen, thus keeping up his heart rate so it wouldn't drop again.

Photobucket

Jason's dad + mom stopped by for some family support.

Photobucket

...and then there's me.

Photobucket

I leave at 12:30 a.m. I get a call around 7 a.m. from Jason saying "Hey Daisy! Christian's coming in about an hour. We want you to photograph. Hurry up!"

90 mph, here I come!

My sister's only request was to stand behind her + DO NOT get any shots from below.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Contractions come + push! 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10

Photobucket

Photobucket

"PUSH!"

Photobucket

Welcome Christian...

Photobucket

Not only is Christy + Jason crying, but I'm sobbing behind my camera, barely able to see through the viewfinder. It was very emotional watching this life being born.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Awww...my sister has wanted to be a mother for soooo long.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Congratulations Christy + Jason! Christian is so beautiful + so lucky to have parents who will love + truly cherish him.

And thanks guys for letting me document this special moment for you!

Daisy

7 comments:

Lynn Dao Photography said...

OMG, he's sooooo adorable. Daisy, you did a sensational job w/ documenting the birth of your little nephew. Who knew hospital lighting can be so nice?? Tell your sister I said Congrats!!!

Caits said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!



I am sending this link to my sister who asked me to photograph her upcoming birth in Sept! Yahoo!!!!

Unknown said...

He is so little and adorable! They were very lucky to have you there to document it!

Daisy Varley said...

Thanks guys! It was such a special moment.

Good luck Caitlin with documenting your sister's labor. It should be a memorable experience for you + your family!

Leon Li said...

That's great Daisy. Awesome captures and congrats!

Lisa Gisczinski Photography said...

Wow Daisy you had ME crying!
Those pictures are so cute.

Heather Jean said...

Okay...I do want you to document the birth of our (Frank's and my) children...You are awesome. I can't wait to see Christian next month