Monday, April 13, 2009

Italy Photography [when in Rome]

. . . do as the Romans do.

(December 2004)

After spending a few days in Paris, we hopped onto the eurail and headed for Rome. Traveling on the eurail, Europe's popular train transportation, was one of my most memorable and favorite parts of the the entire trip. We slept in this tiny room with bunk beds, a sink and a window. What more could you ask for? Well, it would've been nice to have a shower, but we survived. Each of us brought one piece of luggage and a couple sets of clothes. We were really skimping, but it was well worth it.

I remember waking up in the early hours of the morning, looking out our window and seeing white everywhere. We were passing through the Swiss Alps...it was beautiful. I could stare out that window for hours.

On the eurail, we met some interesting people from all walks of life. We even had an interesting situation where two men tried robbing a cart next to ours. I remember getting on the floor, our room completely black and the only thing I could see was the light peaking from underneath our door. Luckily, they were arrested. Whew! There's always an adventure around the corner.

Photobucket

Photobucket

When we arrived in Rome, I felt immediately overwhelmed by the history, grandness and beauty of the city.

Photobucket

The Coliseum.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

One of my favorite sites, the Roman Forum.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Inside the Vatican museum.

Photobucket

We ate plenty pizza, pasta and drank lots of wine. It was so much fun!

Photobucket

During our last night in Rome, John couldn't sleep (around midnight) and so he wanted to go for a walk in the city. Of course I wanted to tag along. We walked, unsure of where we were going. After thirty minutes, we turned around a dark corner, probably expecting to get robbed. To our surprise, right before our eyes was the Trevi Fountain. It was GORGEOUS! There was not a person in sight, just us. I wanted to jump in and start dancing around like in "La Dolce Vita." Of course I didn't, but that moment is one I will never forget.

We then boarded the eurail and made our way down to Venice.

Photobucket

This city blew my mind. Everything is afloat and transportation is by boat only. I loved it! We stayed at the Danieli Hotel, thanks to John's friend Steven. Old and authentic, I was in love. I truly felt our room was haunted, but that made it even more exciting. Vintage furniture and paintings adorned our room. This place was decorated to perfection. I felt like I traveled back to the 14th century.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We fed pigeons in St. Mark's Square. John put a little too much seeds on top of my head and I was bombarded by an army of pigeons, which freaked me out. I'll spare you those images. Instead, I'll conclude our trip in Italy with an image of me jumping, which kind of looks like I'm dodging those pesky pigeons :)

Photobucket

More images from our last stop in Barcelona to come soon.

Daisy

2 comments:

Eric Velado said...

Astonishing! I want to be in Rome.

Lisa Gisczinski Photography said...

OH Thanks for taking me along to Italy with you (via pictures, I mean)! I have never been. It looks amazing!
Great seeing you the other day :)